Language of the Law
- Judge Raynor could not try the case because it was outside his jurisdiction.
- Federal district courts have original jurisdiction over most federal court cases.
- When Gary, and ex-convict, felt the jury in his original trial was prejudiced against him, he took his case to a(n) appellate court.
- Alex, a Utah resident, sued Dave, and Idaho resident, for $75,0oo. The case was tried in a federal court because it was a(n) diversity of citizenship.
- The federal court of appeals has appellate jurisdiction over cases that are decided by federal district courts.
- All cases involving major crimes and/or large amounts of money begin in a court of general jurisdiction.
- The landlord insisted the tenant pay the $500 rent he owed; the tenant refused to pay until the heat was fixed. The case went to a court of limited jurisdiction.
- A court that is between the lower courts and the highest court is called a(n) intermediate court.
- What are 2 court systems? Federal court system and state court system
- Wat is the source of the federal court systems authority? Jurisdiction
- What 4 types of cases are included in he federal courts jurisdiction? actions in which the US or a state is a party, except those actions between a state and its own citizens, cases that raise a federal question, diversity of citizenship cases, admiralty, patent-right,copyright, and bankruptcy cases.
- How is the federal court system arranged? lowest- district courts, middle- US court of appeals, highest- Supreme Court
- In what kind of case does a federal district court have original jurisdiction? Civil or criminal case
- what jurisdiction does a federal court of appeals have? appellate jurisdiction
- what types of cases are included in the supreme courts original jurisdiction? its appellate jurisdiction? ambassadors, consuls, other public ministers and cases which a state is a party; all cases that involve the constitutionality of a federal law
- what is the general pattern of state court systems? consist of local trial courts, courts of general jurisdiction, and appellate courts
- what are three courts that are referred to as local trial courts? traffic courts, police courts, municipal courts
- 2 examples of courts that have been established to handle specialized cases? land and housing courts